Monday, March 17, 2008

Welcome to Bracketville, Population 1

Welcome to Bracketville 2008, Population 1

Attached are a blank bracket, a bracket with men’s and women’s seedings and my preliminary thoughts.

Should you choose to share your brackets, you can fill in the Excel sheet and return it prior to noon Thursday. I will keep the score sheet and attempt to get daily updates to those participating.

One point for each correct first round pick, two points for second round, etc.

It ought to be a most interesting run up to April 7th (men) and April 8th (women).

Any tournament with a coach named Keno (perhaps the only game of chance I am yet to play) Davis has to be a lot of fun.

I love the Houston 3/14 match up with Stanford and Cornell. Lotsa red in the stands and the combined SAT scores of the respective starting fives has to be an NCAA record.

Didjaknow that the last time Drake was in the tournament Dick Nixon was President.

I see a bunch of blue in my Final Four…but not my favorite shade. UCLA, Kansas and UNC are highly skilled teams and Texas rounds out my list of teams touring the Alamo.

I hope Kevin Love is over the back spasms so UCLA can be nearly full strength. Mbah a Moute’s ankle injury is enough of a loss.

The Kansas State/USC match up will feature a couple of talented, but potentially out of control teams. Playing in Omaha, gives Kansas State the edge for me.

What a long, strange trip it’s been from losing to Gardner-Webb at home to getting into their 17th straight NCAA Tournament for Kentucky.

Seth Greenberg from Virginia Tech wins the 2008 Jim Boeheim “Whine and Cheese” Award.

I am enjoying Coach Knight on ESPN. He made a convincing case for Pitt to cut down the nets in San Antonio. Pitt is tough as nails, well coached and never quits. If I had to pick a dark horse, it would come from the Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville, Georgetown group.

Now I cannot buy into the coach’s 128-team field concept.

I hope he gets more and more controversial. I remember when ABC put Earl Weaver in the booth for World Series color after Earl’s first retirement. Instead of the feisty, colorful, aggressive Earl we had come to know and love---he became Casper Milquetoast. Somehow, I don’t think Coach Knight will become a shrinking violet.

So---sharpen your pencil, noodle the pairings around and send me the brackets that you dream on.

No comments: